Learn more about the free adult education programme for centre whānau
"Education is a process; education is growth; education is not a preparation for life but is life itself! -
John Dewey - American philosopher, psychologist and educator, 1859-1952
- The Playcentre adult education programme offers parents the opportunity to gain a NZQA accredited qualification in the form of a Playcentre specific level 6 Diploma - The Playcentre Diploma in Early Childhood and Adult Education.
- The emphasis of the adult education programme is to meet the needs of adults working in a Playcentre co-operative.
- Playcentre education is largely experiential - where new understanding is gained from reflection on experience. Learning through observation and experience with children is an important component of the courses, becuase as well as learning about child development in general, participants get to know the children in their sessions better. This also serves to strengthen the quality of adult relationships within the centres.
- We recognise the abilities, knowledge and experience you bring with you to Playcentre. Our parent's course offers you the opportunity to advance these skills which will help you as a parent/caregiver, through sharing your experiences and exploring new ones.
- The Education Executive team encourages parent education through Association courses, and provides approved facilitators and tutors for workshops and discussions throughout the different levels of the training programme.
- The Canterbury Playcentre Association currently offers Courses 1-4 of the Playcentre Diploma in Early Childhood and Adult Education.
In consultation with Bevan Tipene-Matua (Ngai Tahu) approval has been given to use Maori plant (taonga) names to represent our courses. We decided to use plant names as we feel this reflects Playcentre's philosophy and Maoridom's respect of all things living.
Are you keen to start Course 2 or Course 3?
If you are keen to start Course 2 or Course 3 let us know! Once we have enough people for a particular Course we will start the programme. To meet students needs we would like to know what training options you prefer e.g. several workshops on either a Saturday or Sunday, evening block, on session block and how far you are prepared to travel. We will match requests to the best of our ability. Email your contact details and preferences to firstname.lastname@example.org to go on the waiting list.